Saturday, February 21, 2009

Insanity

More and more lately I've been feeling like I'm actually insane. It wouldn't surprise me. My grandma is insane. she's been in a mental hospital. My dad has been in a mental hospital. Almost everyone in my family has some form of depression. And I feel like mine is really relaly bad. Like, worse than it should be. So bad that, sometimes I think I might end up in a hospital, and that scares me.

Depression symptoms: (the bolded are ones I experience)

difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
fatigue and decreased energy
feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
irritability, restlessness
loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
overeating or appetite loss
persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts


Major Depression symptoms: (bolded, again)

Fatigue or loss of energy almost every day
Feelings of worthlessness or guilt almost every day
Impaired concentration, indecisiveness
Insomnia or hypersomnia (excessive sleeping) almost every day
Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities nearly every day (called anhedonia, this symptom can be indicated by reports from significant others.)
Psychomotor agitation or retardation (restlessness or being slowed down)
Recurring thoughts of death or suicide (not just fearing death)
Significant
weight loss or gain (a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month) ... not anymore, but at one time this was a problem.

2 comments:

NePaul Wilson said...

I've always found that taking something that would otherwise be hurtful and turning into something constructive, as the old expression goes (I think) "From the fire comes life" or something to that extent. I'm wishful you can find that outlet because living a life that is otherwise uncomfortable is never a life for someone who has so much to give and life for.

Born Again said...

i've had my moments too when iv'e felt i was going insane, i have been in a hospital, depression is an old "friend" of mine. im still here, happy, because of God. i wish there was something i could do sister..
you seem like a great girl!