Wednesday, December 10, 2008

We Can Do It!

It really bothers me that there's such a large misconception of what feminism really is. i brought my computer to work today and I have Rosie the Riveter as the background. The guy that I was working with said, "So, are you a sexist?" I replied with, "Uh.. no... I'm a feminist." And he was all, "Oooh, so you're a feminist. What do all the guys you date think about that?" Well... I proceeded to tell him that most of the guys I date are ALSO feminists... which he responded with a laugh. yes, guys can be feminists. And no, being a feminist does not mean you're a sexist. He asked me if I make the guy do everything. What does he think a feminist is? What do most people think a feminist is? i believe in equality between men and women. I don't think women are better or more capable of things than men. I'm not a man hater. Feminsts simply believe in equality between men and women. That's it! It bothers me how so many feminists give the rest of us a bad name. It's exactly the same way with Christianity, though. So many Christians give the rest of us a bad name. It happens with every group. Feminists, Christians, highschool kids, southerners, Americans, etc. So I guess, just as I try to make a good name for Christianity, I need to start trying to make a good name for Feminism.
On sort of the same note...
i asked one of my ex-boyfriends why he doesn't want to be with me anymore. He replied that he needs someone that's more laid back and not so needy. That really got me thinking. Whenever I enter into relationships, I am no longer the independent feminist I once was. I become this needy, clingy girlfriend who always has to be with her boyfriend. Something is wrong with that. So I'm trying to change that aspect of who I am. To be extremely cliche... I AM WOMAN.. HEAR ME ROAR! teehee

2 comments:

leanna said...

the more feminist people are, the less equality they believe in. that's why i don't call myself one. being a christian is 'feminist' enough. people who label themselves as such are usually doing so to say all things people are familiar with. feminism and christianity can clash a lot.

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

sadly there are too many feminists out there who want to prove that women are the better sex, so that's why someone would think in the way that guy you talked to spoke. There will always be misconceptions about everything. That's why it's great to cling to Christ overall. :)